Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wedding Day Photo of the Year 2007

I stumbled upon a great site and story that moved me. These pictures made me feel that i was at their presence, as a spectator witnessing an incredible love story. The photographer who captured this amazing moment in time is Rob Sigler.

Read about the photographers nostalgic tale:

Two summers ago, I received an inquiry to shoot a wedding in Philadelphia. The bride-to-be, KC, said both of her parents were in poor health, so she was unsure about the actual date. A few months passed, and KC called back and explained that her father's health was quickly deteriorating, and "because they are too sick to travel, we are bringing the wedding to them." KC, an only child, was insistent that both of her parents were able to attend her wedding. She called again that day and said, "Are you available Tuesday?"


I said sure, and cleared my schedule for the day.

KC quickly put together a small wedding ceremony in her parent's hometown. It was going to be a nursing home where her father had just been moved. At this point, KC was frazzled, so I was happy to do anything I could to help her out.

On Thursday night, the phone rang. It was KC's fiancé. He said that KC's mom (who was recovering from a recent stroke) had just fallen and broken her hip, and the wedding (for a second time) was cancelled. He said they were just going to have a small ceremony in her hospital room as soon as possible. By this point KC was completely devastated. I felt awful for them both. What is supposed to be an incredible experience for this young couple was turning into disaster.

I called him back, and told him I would be more than happy to come to the hospital and shoot the ceremony. He said thank-you, but no thanks. I understood.


Five minutes later, the phone rang again. This time it was KC asking me to come down to the hospital.

So, I packed up my bag, and off I went.


When I got there, the nurses were fashioning bed sheets to create an alter, and KC's mom was in bed and in obvious pain, yet she was dressed in her attire that she would have worn in Philadelphia. Several hospital staff members gathered around the room of the door to catch a glimpse of what was probably the first wedding ever in this hospital. Their hands were filled with Rice Krispies to throw at the end of the event.

As KC walked into the room with her father, a nurse sang "Ave Maria." The ceremony was beautiful. There were no ice sculptures, no flowers (except a few from the gift shop), no limos, but the love this family had for each other was more beautiful than any traditional wedding "thing." There wasn't a dry eye in the room, including mine.

This experience really made me think about my life, and think about what we do as photographers. It's so easy to get caught up in gear, flashes, trashing dresses, etc., and lose sight of what we are really doing. I walked out of the hospital knowing that I had just captured an amazing moment for the family that can now live forever.

Here are a few more pictures from the ceremony.






Read the entire article at: DWF Photo of the Year 2007

3 comments:

Pat said...

Oh, my! I so enjoyed reading this article and seeing your photos. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful day in here.

Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, My Photos.

DJ said...

Hey really cool photos!
bookmark for sure!

Visit my photoblog. At:

www.djingen.blogspot.com

Danny, Sweden

Beamer said...

Nice Story.

Beamer